Churches Together in Basildon Outreach of Faith in Action
WHO ARE WE?
- Operating since 2008
- 20 volunteers from 10 Churches in Basildon (6 of whom are cooks) plus 6 additional cooks
The name is based on Isaiah chapter 58 verse 7 in the Bible: “…is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter – when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?”
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
Providing a free hot meal throughout the year (on average 15-20 meals x3 per wk), hot drink & support to any adult in need or rough sleeping/homeless (children not encouraged)
- A listening ear
- Prayer available for people and their situations
- Practical help e.g. clothes, sleeping bags, tents, form filling, etc
- Signposting to other agencies e.g. benefits, housing, training, rehab, Essex Savers, debt
- counselling, health & wellbeing etc
- Lobbying for a Rough Sleepers Night Shelter or Crisis Day/Night Centre in Basildon
MEAL TIMES & LOCATION MAP
- MONDAYS 6.30-7.30pm at the Basildon Bell Tower, St Marin’s Square, Basildon, SS14 1DX
- WEDNESDAYS & THURSDAYS 6.00-7.30pm at The United Reformed Church, 6 Honeypot Lane, Basildon, SS14 2JZ
- TUESDAYS at the Christian Growth Centre Times Square at 6.30pm
- SATURDAY at Kingswood Baptist Church
We are a Charity and rely on the donations of individuals & churches. The money raised from the Annual Sponsored Sleep-out pays for the year’s food, rent, supplies, training of volunteers.
In 2011/12, The Mayor of Basildon, Cllr Mo Larkin, generously donated £4,000 from her charities to Project 58.7 which we set aside for a Day/Night Shelter:
ANNUAL SPONSORED SLEEP-OUT
The homeless & volunteers raising awareness together.
When? 1st Friday each December 10pm-8am at Trinity Methodist Church, corner of Clay Hill Rd/Bardfield, Basildon SS16 4NN.
The 2018 Sleep-out raised over £8000. Cash or cheques payable to “Churches Together in Basildon (Project 58:7)). Charity No. 267593 – some firms will match fund what an employee has raised.
- Basildon Community Resource Centre (BCRC), contact Maggie Viney 01268 450040
- Basildon Citizens Advice Bureau (BCAB), contact Kathy Peach 0844 477 0808
- Basildon Food Banks, contact BCRC and BCAB above for a Food Voucher & details about where to exchange at a Food Bank
- CAP Debt Centre for free debt advice & counselling, contact 0800 328 0006
- Basildon Council Homelessness Department & St Mungo’s.