Virtual Sleepout December 2020
This year we are unable to run our usual sleepout because of the Covid virus. Instead wil are having a virtual sponsored sleepout. Potential sleepers are choosing an uncomfortable location somewhere on their property and will spend the night there instead of in the garden at Trinity Methodist. In our house our sleeper will be in the garage or maybe the garden shed. Another sleeper is planning to sleep on his balcony! I’ looking forward to hearing where others choose.
If you want to sponsor someone or make a gift towards the work you can send a cheque to CTB (Project 58.7) 16 Norsey Close Billericay or pay direct into our account 11171008 sort code 16 12 33. Thank you so much for your support.
Churches Together in Basildon Outreach of Faith in Action
WHO ARE WE?
- Operating since 2008
- 20 volunteers from 10 Churches in Basildon (6 of whom are cooks) plus 6 additional cooks
The name is based on Isaiah chapter 58 verse 7 in the Bible: “…is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter – when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?”
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
Providing a free hot meal throughout the year (on average 15-20 meals x3 per wk), hot drink & support to any adult in need or rough sleeping/homeless (children not encouraged)
- A listening ear
- Prayer available for people and their situations
- Practical help e.g. clothes, sleeping bags, tents, form filling, etc
- Signposting to other agencies e.g. benefits, housing, training, rehab, Essex Savers, debt
- counselling, health & wellbeing etc
- Lobbying for a Rough Sleepers Night Shelter or Crisis Day/Night Centre in Basildon
MEAL TIMES & LOCATION MAP
- MONDAYS 6.30-7.30pm at the Basildon Bell Tower, St Marin’s Square, Basildon, SS14 1DX
- WEDNESDAYS & THURSDAYS 6.00-7.30pm at The United Reformed Church, 6 Honeypot Lane, Basildon, SS14 2JZ
- TUESDAYS at the Christian Growth Centre Times Square at 6.30pm
- SATURDAY at Kingswood Baptist Church
We are a Charity and rely on the donations of individuals & churches. The money raised from the Annual Sponsored Sleep-out pays for the year’s food, rent, supplies, training of volunteers.
In 2011/12, The Mayor of Basildon, Cllr Mo Larkin, generously donated £4,000 from her charities to Project 58.7 which we set aside for a Day/Night Shelter:
ANNUAL SPONSORED SLEEP-OUT
The homeless & volunteers raising awareness together.
When? 1st Friday each December 10pm-8am at Trinity Methodist Church, corner of Clay Hill Rd/Bardfield, Basildon SS16 4NN.
The 2018 Sleep-out raised over £8000. Cash or cheques payable to “Churches Together in Basildon (Project 58:7)). Charity No. 267593 – some firms will match fund what an employee has raised.
This year we can only arrange a virtual sleep out
- Basildon Community Resource Centre (BCRC), contact Maggie Viney 01268 450040
- Basildon Citizens Advice Bureau (BCAB), contact Kathy Peach 0844 477 0808
- Basildon Food Banks, contact BCRC and BCAB above for a Food Voucher & details about where to exchange at a Food Bank
- CAP Debt Centre for free debt advice & counselling, contact 0800 328 0006
- Basildon Council Homelessness Department & St Mungo’s.